Welcome to the Verde Valley Amateur Radio Association
News Sources And Blogs
- Climbur - Get big ideas delivered to your inbox every Monday!
- Visual News - The cure for eyeball boredom.
- moddea - Visual catalog of everyday modern objects.
- Very Short List - Cultural gems from a different curator every day.
- SoulPancake - Art, culture, science, philosophy, spirituality and humor.
- BuzzFeed - High quality original reporting, insight and viral content.
- UPROXX - The culture of what's buzzing.
- PocketHits - The most popular stories, videos, images, recipes and more from Pocket.
- What's Trending - See it first.
- Viral Viral Videos - Videos going viral right now.
- Open Culture - The best free cultural and educational media on the web.
- Trendland - Your daily dose of fashion, trends, art, design and photography.
- Slacktory - A comedic blog about the pop culture of the internet.
- Flavorwire - Culture curation. Highbrow, lowbrow and everything in between.
- Internet for Beginners - About.com's guide to participating in online culture.
- Quartz - Digitally native news outlet. Bracingly creative journalism.
- The Daily Beast - Read this skip that.
- Matter - Commissions, crafts and publishes unmissable journalism about science, tech and ideas.
- PostDesk - Indepth news, analysis, discussion and debate.
- WhoWhatWhy - Groundbreaking investigating journalism.
- NOTCOT - A visual filtration of ideas + aesthetics + amusements.
- The Exaltation - A collective of creatives sharing inspirational projects.
- The Khooll - A digital design and lifestyle magazine.
- dsgnWrld - Propagate design.
- designboom - A large independent publication dedicated to design and architecture.
- Twaggies - Funny tweets illustrated.
- Team COCO - Conan O'Brien presents…
- White Whine - A collection of first-world problems.
- Improv Everywhere - They cause scenes (funny videos).
- PassiveAggressiveNotes.com - Pictures of funny passive aggressive notes people have left.
- Valet - Men's style, grooming, living, shopping and how-to guides.
- Por Homme - Men's lifestyle, fashion, footwear and culture.
- Bless This Stuff - Web magazine for guys. Categories include: wear, living, culture, sports, vehicles and more.
- The Art of Manliness - Men's interests and lifestyle.
- Dappered - Affordable men's style.
- Goop - Limited edition collaborations, recipes, travel notes, shopping ideas curated by Gwyneth Paltrow.
- The Hairpin - Ladies first.
- HelloGiggles - Entertainment for creative women.
- The Everygirl - The lifemap for everygirls everywhere.
- Pick the Brain - Motivation and self-improvement.
- In Focus - News photography from The Atlantic.
- Amazing Things In The World - Photos of, you guessed it, amazing things in the world (Facebook).
- NPR Picture Show - Photo stories from NPR.
- Feature Shoot - Travel, fashion, documentary, editorial and portrait photography.
- White House Photos - Photos from the White House.
- Freddie Wong - Action shorts from Freddie Wong.
- Vsauce - Amazing facts and the best of the Internet.
- All Time 10s - The funniest, most relevant and informative top 10 list videos you'll ever watch.
- Household Hacker - Mods, life hacks, science, cheats, pranks and gaming.
- WatchMojo - Profiles, videos, top 10s.
- SoundCloud - Hear the world's sounds.
- Studio 360 - What's happening in pop culture and the arts.
- Blank on Blank - They find lost interviews, you listen.
- Fresh Air - Contemporary arts and issues (from NPR).
- Radiolab - A show about curiosity.
- Longform - Recommends new and classic nonfiction from around the web.
- Byliner Spotlights - Read more from your favorite authors.
- Longreads - The best long-form stories on the web.
- The Feature - A hand-picked selection of the finest articles and essays saved with Instapaper.
- The Paris Review - Introducing you to the important writers of the day.
- Skillcrush - Learn about technology and how to put it to work for you.
- Singularity Hub - The future is here today.
- Gizmag - New and emerging technology news (lots of cool hardware).
- Internet Today - The best internet and tech news from LinkedIn.
- ExtremeTech - The only tech site I've ever seen with a category labeled “Extreme.”
- TED - Ideas worth spreading.
- Co.Exist - World-changing ideas and innovation.
- Talks at Google - Speakers of all stripes giving talks at Google.
- Conference Bites - Big ideas for short attention spans. The best quotes from the latest events.
- Aspen Ideas - Multimedia from around the Aspen Ideas Institute.
- Geekosystem - Your guide to tech and internet culture.
- Geek & Sundry - Eccentricities for your entertainment.
- So Geek Chic - All things geek and/or chic.
- Geekologie - Gadgets, gizmos and awesome.
- DudeIWantThat.com - A gift guide of gadgets, gear and novelties.
- GOOD - A global community of people who care.
- Stanford Social Innovation Review - Informing and inspiring leaders of social change.
- Charity Navigator - America's largest charity evaluator.
- Dutiee - Stories that matter.
- Socialbrite - Social solutions for nonprofits (blog).
- TreeHugger - Dedicated to driving sustainability mainstream.
- Grist - Environmental news, commentary and advice.
- GoodGuide - Green, healthy and safe product information and reviews.
- Environmental Graffiti - An eclectic mix of bizarre, funny and interesting environmental news.
- Food & Water Watch - Works to ensure the food, water and fish we consume is safe and accessible.
- POLITICO - Driving the conversation.
- BagNews - Reading the pictures; visual politics and the analysis of news images.
- Think Progress - Hard-hitting political news.
- GovTrack.us - Easily track the activities of the United States Congress.
- OpenSecrets.org - See who's getting and who's giving.
- Mental Floss - Random, interesting amazing facts plus fun quizzes and trivia.
- Hypebeast - Fashion, arts, design, culture.
- Brain Pickings - Human-powered discovery engine for interestingness.
- DROOL'D - Stuff to drool over from gadgets to places.
- Bored Panda - The only magazine for pandas.
- ThreadBanger - For people who make their own style.
- Unhistorical - Day by day reflections on history and culture.
- Daily Grommet - Discover unique products with innovative design that make unique gifts.
- I'm Remembering - Pop culture and nostalgery from the 80s and early 90s.
- Richard Wiseman - Quirky mind stuff including videos, illusions, trivia and more.
Tech News and Analysis
- TechCrunch - Lots of news. Not always right, but always interesting and frequently first.
- VentureBeat - A firehose of news about startups, innovation, and cool products coming in the tech world.
- GigaOm - Some news, but mostly really smart analysis of the tech world.
- ReadWriteWeb - Ditto above. Some news, lots of smart people talking tech.
- Wired - The only magazine for pandas.
- The Next Web - Funnier, more lighthearted, but still great news.
- Webware - News, always with a focus on “what does it mean for users?”
- Mashable - Nowhere else to go for social media news, this one’s dominant.
- I'm Bits - Not a lot of exclusive content, but brilliant writers and smart commentary.
- The Unofficial Apple Weblog - An awesome resource for anything and everything Apple.
- Business Insider Tech - Very business-heavy, but great angles on news stories..
- Ars Technica - Heavy on the geekery, but full of interesting thoughts and niche pieces.
- Reddit Technology - Not a blog per se, but a great source for tech news and other edifying and entertaining content.
Tech and Web Design
- Six Revisions - Tips, tools, and great lists of design resources.
- Noupe - I love their roundups (like “50 best free icon sets”), and constantly bookmark this site.
- Noupe - I love their roundups (like “50 best free icon sets”), and constantly bookmark this site.
- Hongkiat - Basically ditto above, but with a slightly broader focus in design.
- I Love Typograhy - Love fonts and typefaces? Can’t beat this site.
- Design Observer - More tips, tricks, and tutorials.
- Swiss Miss - The musings of a designer, with a heavy focus on the funky and quirky bits of the design world.
How-Tos and Reviews
- MakeUseOf - Endless resource of Top 10 Lists, and geeky hacks you might want to try.
- gHacks - Deeper cuts in tech than MUO, but still great for news, tips, and tutorials.
- Lost in Technology - Much more approachable than the above sites, it’s a great blog to wade into without much knowledge required.
- Mac AppStorm - The best Mac apps on the planet get showcased here.
- Web AppStorm - Ditto above, but with Web apps.
- FreelanceSwitch - Tips, tools, tricks and help for anyone living the freelance lifestyle (more and more of us these days).
- 40Tech - Encountering tech, particularly geared toward those over 40, but really useful for anyone.
- Daring Fireball - John Gruber is the smartest man on the planet when it comes to Apple.
- Pogue’s Posts - David Pogue’s funny, smart, and a great representative of the common man.
- Scripting News - Dave Winer’s as important to the tech landscape as anyone (he’s the godfather of RSS, among other things), and his thoughts on any subject are a must-read.
- Search Engine Land - Danny Sullivan knows his stuff when it comes to search—and there’s a lot more to it than you might think.
- All Things D - A group of thinkers from the Wall Street Journal, all discussing, analyzing and talking tech. My favorite? Kara Swisher
- Dustin Curtis - I love the way his site looks more than anything, but he’s a great observer of the world of blogging, design, and art.
- MinimalMac - Mostly a links roundup, but a phenomenal resource for anyone looking to make their Mac work for them.
- Robert Scoble - The blog of author, tech evangelist, & Rackspace employee Robert Scoble.
Tips, Tricks and Hackery
- Lifehacker - The grand poobah of “little things to make your life more productive, more efficient, and more awesome” blogs
- Digital Inspiration - Amit is clever, easy to understand, and full of cool and interesting tips for everyone.
- Unclutterer - Much-needed help for getting the crap out of our way so we can get important things done.
- HackCollege - Tons of useful tips on hacking college and succeeding in school, but with ideas useful for anyone.
- Smarterware - Gina, the founder of Lifehacker, took to Smarterware to share more great tricks, and never disappoints.
- Lifehack - Somewhat broader in its thinking than Lifehacker, but a great place to find tips to make every little piece of your life work a little better.
- Switched - All things geek, particularly the culture of techies that is forming.
- Make Magazine - Do awesome stuff with your stuff. That should totally be their tagline.
- Gizmodo - Gadgets, gadgets, gadgets!
- Engadget - Oh my goodness, more gadgets!
- Boy Genius Report - They’re full of rumors and leaks, and are almost always right.
- jkOnTheRun - Arguably the most seasoned gadget-heads out there, they’re a smart, thoughtful, and objective resource for all things gadget and mobile.
- Xkcd - Want to know how nerds think? Read this comic. That’s exactly it.
- Boing Boing - The interesting, quirky, strange, and weird things in the tech world.
- Neatorama - Awesome things. I think that’s their only criteria for inclusion, and they stick to it well.
- All About Microsoft - Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley's blog covers the products, people and strategies that make Microsoft tick.
- Bink - Bink.nu is the leading source for Microsoft news and downloads.
- Channel9 - As part of Microsoft's commitment to make Channel 9 a great place to meet and interact with others around the world.
- CNET News - Top Technology News
- ComputerWorld - Technology news and information for IT influencers worldwide.
- Live Side - Covers all of Microsoft’s consumer facing online devices and services, is well known for being first with the best and most exclusive dirt on Microsoft’s online initiatives.
- The Ed Bott Report - Insights and expert advice on the products and companies that define today's tech landscape, from a source who knows these technologies inside and out.
- NeoWin - Technology news website that actively focuses on Microsoft, Apple, and sometimes Linux.
- Notebooks.com - Notebooks.com is a mobile computing news and reviews site. This site primarily focuses on Windows notebooks and MacBooks.
- OSNews - Exploring the Future of Computing, we try to focus on all major news about operating systems, ultimately, we report on a range of technologies and anything else we think our readers might find interesting.
- Paul Thurrott's WinInfo - Paul Thurrott is senior technical analyst for Windows IT Pro.
- PC Magazine - Leading digital media company specializing in the technology, gaming and men’s lifestyle categories.
- Security Garden - Get computer security news and information, help, tips and more at the Security Garden.
- Windows Networking - Latest Windows Networking Articles & Tutorials
- WinSupersite - Paul Thurrott's Windows Super Site, All things Windows!
- WordPress Planet - This is an aggregation of blogs talking about WordPress from around the world.
- Get Support - Support for WordPress a hosting platform that makes it easy for anyone to publish online.